rain damage
Utah, Rain and Home Damage
March 29, 2017
front door
Boarding Up After Disasters
May 17, 2017
Show all

Mold in Your Home

mold restoration

Mold is a very pesky, and often costly, setback for homeowners. Mold can grow in as little as 4 days from exposure to moisture so it is important as a home owner to pay attention to changing environments within your home. Porous surfaces exposed to water need to be adequately dried quickly in order to help prevent the growth of mold. Fixing leaking water fixtures, or running the bathroom fan for 15-20 minutes after a shower can help dry the air out and prevent the growth of mold. Molds have been shown to cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals (existing health conditions, small children, elderly). Reactions can happen after touching mold or inhaling the spores. (EPA, 2017)

Once mold is present it takes special care and systems in order to properly remove and prevent future growths. Mold must be removed under containment and negative pressure in order to prevent the spread of spores to other porous surfaces. Technicians must wear personal protective equipment in order to stay safe during the removal process. Unfortunately it’s been proven that bleach will not kill all molds, and most bleach bottles will disclose that it will only kill mold on hard, non-porous surfaces. According to the EPA, “absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced”. (EPA, 2017)

Mold can be a scary thing for homeowners, and we are here to help through the process. In order to better help we offer free estimates for mold removal to homeowners, during which time we visually inspect the areas affected and determine if additional testing is required.

Works Cited
EPA. (2017, February 21). Mold Cleanup in Your Home. Retrieved April 18, 2017, from United States Enviornmental Protection Agency: https://www.epa.gov/mold/mold-cleanup-your-home