What is mold remediation?
Mold remediation is method used in occupational health to remove or clean up mold from any indoor environment.
Why does mold grow?
Keep in mind that mold needs three things to grow:
- Food --- wood, fabric, leather, drywall, insulation, dirt and dust are good sources
- Water --- mold needs moisture to grow.
- Warmth --- mold thrives in a warm place.
Do you think you have mold?
- Our initial questions for you will be
- Is the mold visible?
- Where is the mold located?
- Have you had a previous water damage in this area?
These questions allow us to determine where the water intrusion is permeating and causing the mold growth.
What is the first step I should take when I discover mold?
As professionals we recommend you calling a licensed contractor to assist you in the mold remediation process. They have the knowledge, certifications and experienced needed to properly remove the mold.
Things to be aware of when discovering mold:
- Cross Contamination: cross contamination according to Wikipedia is defined as, the process by which bacteria or other microorganisms are unintentionally transferred from one substance or object to another, with harmful effect. When a professional remediates mold they will create a containment tent to avoid cross contamination.
Areas we commonly see mold in:
- Moist or damp locations are more likely to have mold.
- Examples: bathrooms, kitchens, attics and crawl spaces are just a few places that we have removed mold from.
How can I prevent mold growth?
Although mold growth is not completely avoidable, there are a few preventative maintenance suggestions we make. It is very important to properly maintain your home. Inattention to cleaning and maintaining air condition and heating system can cause elevated mold growth in your home.
Please always contact a properly licensed contractor when dealing with mold. If you have any additional questions about mold contact our office at 801-263-9990.