There’s more to mold than just an unassuming patch of dirt stuck in the corner of your home. Learn more about this unwelcomed fungus by reading our mold damage FAQs.
Is there a difference between mold and mildew?
Yes, there is. While both mold and mildew grow on the same types of surfaces and thrive in moist and warm areas, these two types of fungi differ in terms of color, size, and texture.
Mildew is a patch of white or gray fungus that lays flat on moist surfaces. It is a specific type of mold that penetrates deeper surfaces. Mildew is also a disease the affects crops and plants. Mildew thrives in paper fabrics, damp surfaces, and other organic materials in the house.
Mold, on the other hand, is darker and fuzzier than mildew. Unlike mildew, which only affects plants in the long run, prolonged exposure to mold spores triggers several health problems for humans: respiratory infections, allergic reactions, and chronic fatigue.
How can I detect mold growth?
A musty odor similar to the smell of library books is the first indication of mold. Some types of mold, however, do not give off odors. Mold spots can be easily detected, but some homeowners brush it off, thinking it is dirt.
If you suspect mold growth in your home, purchase some tests available at local hardware stores. If your mold problem is severe, it will require the assistance of professional restoration services.
Can I do DIY mold growth cleanup?
There’s nothing wrong with cleaning up mold by yourself, especially when it’s only present in small patches. It is also okay to throw out contaminated materials as long as you wear the right protective gear.
DIY solutions, however, are not recommended for homeowners who have developed breathing problems or are suffering from allergies. These instances require a specialist’s hand. It is better to seek professional help than to risk your health, after all.