A flooded basement may make even the most self-assured homeowner feel powerless and panicked. Use these helpful hints to determine what to do if your basement floods. Unexpected problems in your house are frequent, so know that you’re not alone if anything breaks, leaks, or makes an odd noise.
We’ve compiled a list of things to check for and what to do if your basement is flooded with water. If your home has been flooded, here are some things you can do.
1. If there is water in the basement, turn off all power sources in the area, including electricity and gas. Entering a flooded area while the electricity is on is never a good idea. If you are unsure how to turn these areas off, contact a certified electrician before entering the room.
2. Take pictures of the damage. Before starting repairs, take pictures of the damage to your basement. You’ll want to document the extent of the damage, so you’re prepared to show the company any issues when you file your insurance claim.
3. If you have flood insurance, call your home insurance company and report the flood. You will likely have to file a claim, so be ready to provide information, including any costs you might have already incurred, such as a plumber or repair. Make sure you also have your policy number, as this will help speed up your claim process.
4. Remove all electrical devices from the flooded area. Dry any wet appliances with a towel before removing them from your home to avoid electrical shock. Turn off the circuit breakers before doing so. If you can’t turn off the power, leave the device where it is. The area should be dried within 24 hours before using it again. You can place damaged items in a sealed garbage bag until you have them repaired.
5. Rip up any carpeting and remove it as quickly as possible from the wet basement. If carpeting is not removed immediately, it might hinder the floor beneath from drying. Although drying these materials might be challenging, damp carpets can sometimes be rescued.
6. Repair your water damage. You’ll need to call a repair company to assess the damage and make the necessary repairs to your home. Please don’t attempt to do this yourself unless you’re sure you can do it safely. Some issues may prove to be more complicated than you realize.
7. Keep your home clean. If you have any water damage, bacteria and mold can fester. Mold spreads quickly, so call a cleaning company to restore your basement to its former state if you notice any mold.
8. Get the area dried out. If you have a flooded basement, it might take a long time for the area to dry. If you have a sump pump or a dehumidifier, you’ll want to ensure that you have it running until the area is arid.
A flooded basement is much more than just a mess–it can also mean a significant loss for your home and family. When dealing with flooded basement repair, you need a professional restoration company that can get the job done right. That’s where we come in.
If you need water damage restoration in Salt Lake City, UT, work with us at AAA Restoration Utah. Our team offers a wide range of water damage, removal, and restoration services throughout Utah, using our knowledge, experience, and high-quality equipment to prevent mold growth and structural damage. Contact us today to discuss what we can do for you.