Call (801) 263-9990 | Locally Owned and Operated

Signs You Need a Mold Remediation Professional

  • Home
  • Mold
  • Signs You Need a Mold Remediation Professional

The word “mold” often strikes fear in the heart of homeowners, but unless it’s in a very visible place, how do you know if you have mold? And if you do see it, how do you know when it’s too much for you to clean up on your own and requires the assistance of a mold remediation company in Utah? Here are a few of the things you can look for that will help you determine who can and should clean it up.

1: Strong Musty Odor

Mold has a pretty distinct smell, which many describe as being “musty”. This smell often gets stronger the closer you get to the mold, so you may notice it when you walk into a specific room (it’s probably in that room), or when you’re running the furnace or AC (it could be growing in the HVAC system).

2: Spreading Spots

Mold comes in a variety of colors, ranging from white all the way to black and many shades in between. It grows very quickly, so if you spot it on your walls and notice a lot, it may have just grown in the last 48 hours or so. Sometimes it can be hard to see small spots of mold on the walls, but you can look for spots that spread over the course of a couple of days, or check areas that are prone to mold growth, such as grout in between the tiles in your bathroom.

3: Symptoms of Mold Reactions

In some cases you won’t see the mold at all, but you will notice health reactions and symptoms. Many people mistake these symptoms for common cold or other allergies, so it’s important to notice whether the symptoms persist over a long period of time (in which case they are likely not seasonal allergies or a cold), or whether they only occur in certain areas, such as one specific room of your home.

4: High Humidity Levels

Since mold grows with water, humid areas are the most likely places you will find it in your home. Check around your bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room, and basement for any of the above signs to make sure you don’t have mold there.

Mold is a fungus, and there are many types that you can find in your environment. The spores are often invisible to the naked eye, and can be tracked into your home from pets, children, and shoes, or even blow in through an open door or window. It grows and spreads rapidly, and in high volumes can be seriously hazardous to your health, including respiratory distress, asthma, allergies, sinus infections, rashes, and more. If you see any of these signs of mold, call AAA Restoration today to come and inspect and let you know what is required to clean it up.

Comments are closed