Water damage is a serious emergency that can pose a huge threat to your family’s safety and home’s value. For people living in Utah, flood damage and the odor it leaves are things that they will have to deal with at one point or another. The unpleasant smell is not only a nuisance but a health risk as well, especially if the cause is an infestation of mold or mildew. This is why it is so important that you know what to do to eliminate water damage odor when you notice it.
In this article, we will share three effective steps that you can take to tackle odors after a flood or mold infestation:
After drying the damaged areas, check the rest of the house for other possible sources of moisture. The most common areas for mold growth are the bathroom, kitchen, and basement, so make sure that you inspect every nook and cranny of those rooms.
You might also want to use either air-moving fans or dehumidifiers to dry out any moisture that may have been left by the water damage.
The next step is to see if there are mold growths in your home. Although small concentrations of mold may seem harmless, it’s crucial that you immediately take mold elimination measures to prevent further growth. Remember that mold releases spores that can irritate and damage the lungs. Mold also produces waste that attracts bacteria, which can affect the structural integrity of your home.
You can kill mold by scrubbing the affected area with hot water and soap, or spray the area with white vinegar, a known effective solution against both mold and bacteria. Likewise, don’t forget to dry the area after and make sure there’s no moisture left.
If the odor is not caused by mold, you might want to check your carpets and furniture to see if the odor is coming from them. If so, you can try these steps in deodorizing them:
If you are having trouble determining the odor source, you might want to call the experts at AAA Restoration. Our team can handle water damage restoration, odor elimination, and mold abatement in Utah and nearby counties.
It’s easy to get frustrated with the foul odor and decide to use deodorizing sprays or potpourri to mask it. These may be effective in neutralizing the smell in the meantime, but know that it won’t reduce the health risks that come with mold and mildew growth.
If the odor still lingers even after your efforts to end it, there may be undiscovered water damage somewhere in the property. In this situation, it’s best to call a reputable team of pros like AAA Restoration to handle this problem for you!
As a homeowner, you must know what to do when there’s a water damage odor in your home. They are not to be ignored because they may be causing something worse than just the foul smell. In fact, the growth of mold and the possible structural damage that may be caused by undiscovered water damage is too big a risk to take. Because of this, don’t take chances and immediately address that unpleasant odor by asking the help of a professional for a more thorough job.
AAA Restoration offers reliable services for mold remediation, odor elimination, and water damage restoration in Utah. Our crew is available to assist you 24/7 – get in touch with us today, and we’ll dispatch our team as soon as possible!