Are you an AAA Cheerleader?
July 9, 2018
sewer backup
Sewer Backup: What do I do?
July 17, 2018
Show all

Common Causes of House Fires

house fire

The aftermath of a fire can be a trying time. Questions you may be asking yourself like: What do I do? Where do I go from here? What’s the right thing to do? Unlike other disasters, home fires can be prevented!

On average, U.S fire departments respond to a home fire every 86 seconds. These fires can cause physical injuries as well as cause a significant amount of property damage. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)’s 2017 report revealed on average that there are 351,000 residential fires per year. Some of these fires could have been prevented by practicing proper fire safety and having fire alarms.

The causes of residential fires can range from unattended food in the kitchen to candles left burning in the room. It pays to be vigilant and spare yourself from fire related problems. We are here to help share the most common causes of residential fires to help you gain knowledge about how to prevent this from happening to your home.


Candles caused approximately 9,300 home fires between 2009 and 2013.They were also responsible for 827 injuries and $374 million in property damage. It only takes a split second for a child or pet to knock a candle over or move it close to flammable materials for a fire to ignite.


Neglected cooking equipment remains the leading cause of injuries in residential fires. Unattended hot plates and toasters, overheated grease, and microwaving dishes that are non-microwavable are common culprits.

Electrical Wires and Overloaded Strips

house-fire2Worn-out, chewed, or frayed electrical cords can spark a house fire. Exposed electrical wires, for example, will light a rug on your floor immediately. Wires chewed on by pets can also result in serious fire hazards. Overloaded power strips are another cause of sparks that may start a fire.

A small fire can instantly grow before you even finish reading this article. Fire is fast! There is no time to gather your belongings. In as little as five minutes, your home could be swallowed in flames.

Dealing with fire-damaged properties requires the skill and care of professional. We only employ certified and experienced technicians on our team. Our technicians are also trained in using a range of high-tech cleaning and restoration equipment.

Call AAA Restoration if you find yourself in this situation. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you.